(Kiev is now Kyiv)

Josh Wilson jwilson at ALINGA.COM
Sun Oct 22 18:18:21 UTC 2006

Actually, that is how he pronounces it - with the udarenie moved one over in
that characteristically American manner... teehee.

I should mention that he speaks no Russian and picked up the joke when I
gave him a Hard Rock Café Moskba tee-shirt for Christmas.

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at listserv.cuny.edu] On Behalf Of Kim Braithwaite
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 10:07 PM
To: SEELANGS at listserv.cuny.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] (Kiev is now Kyiv)

As a linguist myself, I am not offended by "Moskba" (tee hee). In fact, I'm
in favor of going all the way: MOCK-bah. No, not musk-VAH but MOCK-bah.
After all, that's the way they spell it: MOCKBA (tee hee).

How soon before we switch to Praha, Bucuresti, and even Athenai (not to
mention Hellas, alas).

Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator

            "Good is better than evil, because it's nicer" - Mammy Yokum (Al

Capp)