(Kiev is now Kyiv)

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Oct 22 20:25:55 UTC 2006

There is a story, perhaps apocryphal, that when the Turkish
government informed the British Foreign
Office that Constantinople should be called 'Istanbul', they were
informed that the name of the city
in English was and would remain Constantinople.  (Alas, that GB is
long gone...)
There was a popular song in the US in the 20's about Constantinople >
Istanbul, etc.
I guess all this discussion is a message to wanna-be-important
countries that in the big leagues
we don't worry about such trivia as what our cities are called in
foreign languages.
By the way, is tee-hee the new :-)?
Jules Levin