Kyiv and Petersburg

Mon Oct 23 02:01:27 UTC 2006

Stephanie Sures wrote:

> How did an "s" sneak its way into the Anglicized transliteration of
> Sankt-Peterburg, anyways? Further along that note, I might ask the same
> about the changes made to "Moskva", Rossiya", etc. The list could go on for
> quite some time.

For St. Petersburg, I'm guessing it's just standard Germanic morphology
(they call it "Sankt-Petersburg" in German).

Moscow, too, is obviously our spelling of the German Moskau, and I would
speculate wildly that German -au is broken from earlier *-ū; cf. Slavic
*-ŭw- with the -w- assigned to the following syllable and the -ŭ- later
reduced to -ъ-.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com