Is Kiev/Kyiv the new acid test for Russo-centrism?

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Oct 23 03:59:18 UTC 2006

>We all know that choices about our language use carry a political
>component. None of the terms 'colored', 'black' and 'African
>America' are inherently offensive.

These are still issues to be debated. And also these are generational
changes of self-names: Thurgood Marshall called himself Negro till his
death in 1993, while many older (living) people prefer "Black". The term
African-American came into being in the late 80's. It's questionable status
is due to the fact that Charlize Theron is also African-American, and so
are most of the taxi-drivers in Washington DC, most of their relatives are
in Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia and so on (I always make a point of asking).
And there is a difference between a German-American and someone with a
German last name, some of whose ancestors must have come from Germany.

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW
 Washington, DC 20016