Is "Kyiv" historically accurate?

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Mon Oct 23 06:57:07 UTC 2006

Dear colleagues:

Toponyms enter other languages at some point in history, and
sometimes become fixed in that form. ("Paris" with final consonant?)
We often manage to live with them.

In the case of the great city on the major southwestern river, its name
MIGHT have derived from its legendary founder, "Kyji" (2d syllable
containing "front yer" vowel).  Regardless whether there ever existed
someone named "Kyji,"  the original form of the city's toponym
presumably was "Kyj-ev-, " followed in the nom. case sg. by "back
yer"  (3 syllables in all).

The Ukrainian vowel change, in the 2d syllable,  replacing -E- by -I-,
must have occurred later.  Just as the Russian vowel change, in the 1st
syllable, replacing -Y- by -I-,  occurred later (as the East Slavic dialects
grew apart and became 3 separate languages).

That historical argument might favor our spelling the great city as
"KYEV" (not "Kyiv" or "Kyiw").  Things can become complicated
sometimes...

P.S.   Some folks, myself included, still perceive the name "Ukraine"
(lacking definite article) as sounding ungrammatical in English, as
if spoken by a new expatriate from a land lacking the  definite and
indefinite articles ("the," "a").  Reminds me of the Polish-American
writer Jerzy Kosinski, who in his early writings in English often
omitted those 2 articles, setting off alarms in the mind of his
(uncredited) editors, who had quite a task to rewrite Kosinski in
standard English.

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.