Encyclopedia of Russian Life; 19th Century dress and more

Alexandra Popoff shura at SASKTEL.NET
Thu Oct 26 17:31:04 UTC 2006

Andrew:

I would highly recommend a recent edition of Gogol's Dead Souls (Mertvye
dushi, Predislovie i kommentarii L. V. Belovinskogo, OLMA-PRESS
Ekslibris, 2005), in Russian. I bought the book in Moscow. It's a truly
encyclopedic edition providing detailed illustrated references to
Gogol's text. 19th Century women's and men's dress, of all classes, is
given much attention. Illustrations are drawn from the archives, Russian
State Library (former Lenin Library), 19th century Russian paintings,
first illustrated Gogol editions, etc. It's an excellent reference on
various items of clothing, houseware, furniture and design, all
illustrated beautifully and explained with authority (the editorial
board includes academicians A.O. Chubarian and A.A. Fursenko.)

As I gather from the introduction, the book is a first in the series,
Encyclopedia of Russian Life. Turgenev's Hunting Sketches are expected
to be next.

You can order the book from the publisher:

http://www.eastview.com/xq/ASP/sku=A2081767/f_locale=/Gogol'/Nikolai/Vasil'evich/Moskva/Russia/Russian/qx/russian/books/product.asp

Hope this helps.

Alexandra Popoff