Cherry Orchard music

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Mon Sep 4 03:15:03 UTC 2006

Alexander Brookes wrote:

> The song is called "Sprjatalsja mesjac za tuchku".  According to one
> web page, the music is by an E. Peterburgskij.

       The second stanza of this song does include lines similar to
those sung by Epikhodov (Chto nam do shumnogo sveta,/Chto nam druz'ia i
vragi;/Bylo by serdtse sogreto/Zharom vzaimnoi liubvi.). He sings "Chto
mne do shumnogo sveta..." But the text is by an unknown author; E.
Petersburgskij = Jerzy Petersburski, the Polish-Jewish composer of
popular songs. His "Tango Milonga," for example, with words by Andrzej
Wlast, was a runaway success in Poland in 1929. With new German words by
Fritz Löhner-Beda and a new title, "Oh, Donna Clara," it became an
international hit, the only Polish popular song to achieve that
distinction. Irving Caesar provided an English text, and Al Jolson
introduced it on Broadway in 1931 in _The Wonder Bar_. In the Soviet
Union, where he spent the war years, Petersburski was best known for
writing the music to "Sinii platochek." Another of his Polish hits, "To
ostatnia niedziela," was transformed into "Utomlennoe solntse," the song
played by the brass band at the beginning of the film _Utomlennoe solntsem_.
       "Spriatalsia mesiac" was published in various versions in the
1880s and 1890s, including one with the lines "Kogda zh ia uvizhu
mogilu,/V kotoroi ty budesh' lezhat',/Ia stanu pred nei na koleni/I budu
mogilu lobzat'."  It was one of the romances alluded to by Mayakovsky in
his screenplay "Pozabud' pro kamin." When the steel worker kisses the
hand of the barber's daughter, he says "Pozvol'te mne beluiu ruchku/k
krasnomu serdtsu pirzhat'!" (In the original: "Daite zhe mne vashu
ruchku/K pylkomu serdtsu prizhat'.")  A parody recorded by the
folklorist Iakov Gudoshnikov in 1945 contained the lines "Pozvol'te mne
pravuiu ruchku/K levomu serdtsu prizhat'."

Bob Rothstein