encouraging news

Armstrong, Todd ARMSTRON at GRINNELL.EDU
Mon Sep 4 20:01:15 UTC 2006

Colleagues,

I have followed with interest the Master and Margarita/Lloyd Webber
discussion--a development I find less distressing than many: there is no
such thing as bad press. Controversies aside, it provided interesting
material for discussion among our student actors, who are currently
rehearsing to perform Bulgakov's masterpiece here at Grinnell College.

Indeed, I am pleased to announce that The Master and Margarita will be
performed this semester under the direction of Veniamin Smekhov, who
immortalized (!) the role of Woland in his performances at the Taganka
Theater in Moscow. This production is part of a week-long symposium on
Politics in Russian Popular Culture, which will also include a concert
by the Russian bard Timur Shaov, a keynote address by Catherine
Nepomnyashchy, and an exhibit of art and a talk by Vitaly Komar, and
several scholarly panels.

All events at Grinnell College are free and open to the public; please
visit the Grinnell College Russian Department website (see News in the
upper right-hand corner) for more information.

Todd Armstrong