WOMEN TANK DRIVERS

Joe Andrew j.m.andrew at LANG.KEELE.AC.UK
Thu Sep 7 09:07:15 UTC 2006

Dear SEELANGERS

I've received the following interesting message from a former student -
can anyone help?

Please reply either direct to Claire, at InterpretationAsst at tankmuseum.org
or to me, whichever suits!

Best

Joe

Dear Professor Andrew,

I am a past student from Keele University and studied Russian Literature
in my final year (2003).  I now hold a research post at the Tank Museum in
Bovington, Dorset and have a rather unusual query that I am hoping you can
help me with.

We are currently re-developing our exhibitions as part of a lottery
project and we want to place an emphasis on the human stories behind the
vehicles in our collection, looking at the individuals that designed,
built or crewed them.

We have a large Russian collection and I am very keen to obtain first hand
accounts of Russian women who built or crewed tanks, especially during
WWII.  Russia is the only nation to have ever used women in tanks on the
front line and it is a side of the story that I feel our audiences would
find very interesting and quite unique.

I am struggling to establish if such accounts exist and I wondered if you
may be able to advise me on my next step.  I understand that this may not
be relevant to any research that you have done but if you have any
thoughts on how I might be able to obtain written or audio accounts or who
I could approach for further assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Claire Newby

Interpretation Assistant

Bovington Tank Museum