Akunin's Seagull

Katz, Michael mkatz at MIDDLEBURY.EDU
Mon Sep 11 19:20:48 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues:

I want to inform you about the availability of my new English translation of Boris Akunin's play Seagull, based, of course, on Chekhov's Chaika. In Akunin's witty version, Konstantin does not commit suicide at all; rather it turns out that he has been murdered. In a series of clever cinematic "takes," Chekhov's characters are all assembled and each one is shown to have had both motive and opportunity to have committed the crime.

The translation has just been published in New England Review, Volume 27, Number 3 /2006. Single copies can be ordered from the NER on their secure website.

Here is a link you can use: http://cat.middlebury.edu/~nereview/

Michael Katz
Middlebury College