A thank you, and a Stalingrad photograph

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Fri Sep 15 17:54:36 UTC 2006

15 Sept 2006,

Dear Colleagues,

First of all I want to thank all those of you who responded with
information regarding the "sign of the cross" in Slavic lands.  Some of
it I was aware of already, but most of it was new to me, and very
interesting too.  Each person who responded will be listed in the credits.

Now I have a related question.  Approximately 15-20 years ago in a
bookstore I came across a (new?) book of photographs from the Second
World War.  Among the photos was one in color showing a very large field
full of German soldiers in battle gear attending a Catholic mass on the
eve of the Battle of Stalingrad.  I remember the priest was in a green
chausible, and I seem to remember that he was holding up a crucifix.
The apparent message was: "We Christian Germans are going to fight and
defeat the Communist atheists in Stalingrad."  The picture horrified
me.  We all know what happened in Stalingrad, especially from Vasilii
Grossman's magnificent novel _Life and Fate_.

If anyone remembers this photo or could offer ideas on where I might
find it, I would be most grateful.

Best regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere