"Moskau"

David J. Galloway dgallowa at TWCNY.RR.COM
Sun Sep 17 00:47:03 UTC 2006

Dear Seelangers,

I'm looking for some background on Dschinghis Khan's immortal classic, "Moskau" (1979), and I appeal to our excellent musicologists.  A Russian friend was of the opinion that the Khan version was based on a folk song (melody? lyrics? both?) which originated in the culture of Russified Germans.  I have never heard this, and was wondering whether anyone knew whether there was any substance to this claim of a folk origin for the pop song.

Any information would be most helpful; please reply off-list.

Thank you.
David Galloway