FW: Leningrad siege literature

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Sep 19 11:06:32 UTC 2006

Dear all,

I am writing on behalf of a friend, Anna Reid:
annareid01 at btinternet.com

She would be very grateful for any advice on memoirs or anything else
relating to the siege of Leningrad.  In Russian, or in translation, though
tr. is better.  Here is what she wrote to me:

³On Leningrad, I wondered if I could ask your advice. I know that Zoshchenko
was evactuated from the city at the same time as Anna Akhmatova, in the
autumn of 1941. Do you know if he wrote anything about the first months of
the siege, or about the state of the city on his return? Also, is there
anything of his from the '30s - preferably translated - which gives the
pre-war flavour of the city?

Any other suggestions as to things I should read would be most gratefully
received. I've already covered the obvious bases (Inber, Lydiya Ginzburg,
Olga Freideberg, though have yet to find a decent translation of
Berggolts).²

Many thanks, as always, in advance.  The best thing would be to reply both
to the list and to Anna directly:
annareid01 at btinternet.com

Best Wishes,

Robert