Kapitanskaya dochka: "umyot"

Timothy D. Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Tue Sep 19 23:55:29 UTC 2006

More to the point for Robert may be that Dal' specifies for the sense
"odinokii postoialyi dvor v stepi" the regions "astrkh. pen.," which I
decipher as Astrakhan', Penza (is it just me, or is there simply not a
"spisok sokrashchenii" for Dal'?). I confess I'm puzzled by the relation of
umyot to the root "MET- MYOT- MECH-, MES" ("throwing, casting, flinging,"
write Wolkonsky and Poltoratsky in their "Handbook of Russian Roots"), as in
"metat'", and to the idea of griaz' and navoz as in "ptichii pomet": was an
umyot a "clean place"? a "swept place"? Amidst the muddy seas of Russian
bezdorozh'e?

In any case I doubt that a terribly inviting and convincing English
equivalent for "umyot" exists. I agree with Inna, who must be a neighbor of
mine, that it looks like a foregrounded item of untranslatable
ethnolinguistic fact, or "color." I would be inclined to cast it into the
outer darkness of italicized foreign words, as unsatisfying as this may seem
at first. I don't think it helps much to decide an "umyot" is something like
a "roadhouse," say, and offer a word like "roadhouse" as the "rema" of
Pushkin's aside. The locals don't call it a "roadhouse," of course, they
call it "umyot." It's always risky to translate into one's target language a
single exotic substantive introduced by an aside like "ili po-ikhnemu" or
"po-tamoshnemu." Something to think about, anyway. Perhaps comparably, an
aul in the Caucasus is rather close to the idea of "hamlet," but one very
often finds it treated as "aul," introduced in italics, perhaps glossed as
"\Caucasus village or hamlet." But thereafter in the given text an aul is an
aul.

Best wishes to all
Tim