The Sign of the Cross Again

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Tue Sep 19 20:04:34 UTC 2006

19 Sept 06

Dear Seelangers,
My thanks to those of you who pointed out the availability of
Uspenskii's book _Krest i krug_.  Trouble is, I find it very difficult
to read something interesting without also writing spontaneous, almost
free-associative responses - often writing these responses on the very
page I am reading.  Therefore I try to avoid utilizing books from
libraries when instead I can obtain a copy of my own.  In this case I
have already placed an order with a distributor in this country, and am
waiting for the book to arrive.  In many cases, of course, a book is not
available except from libraries, or is too expensive to purchase, and
then what I tend to do is insert little tags in the book with notes on
them.  These notes then become the basis for formulating a more
considered reaction to what is being read.  After removing the tags, the
book is fresh and ready for new readers.

No doubt other scholars proceed in a different manner, but I suspect
many also do what I do.  But again, I am grateful for all your suggestions.

Best regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere