Help Please : Man With Feminine Characteristics

Joshua Adetunji jta3 at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Sep 20 05:23:38 UTC 2006

Dear All,

I am preparing some slides for a translation class and i came up with
an idea but need to verify something.

Sometimes some men are accused or laughed at in English, as having a
woman's attributes, hence we can hear things like a 'beautiful
man'.This, more often than not, is a derogatory remark and it can be
used to create some stylistic effects like humor.

I was wondering if there was such term as 'beautiful man' in Russian
language and culture to describe this typical reversal of character,
and which could create the same stylistic effect.

Obviously, 'krasiviy chilavek' would not only sink the stylistic
effect, but also the meaning of the expression in context.Likewise,
'krasivaya zhenshina' will only convey the meaning but not the
stylistic effect.

I just need to know if there is an equivalent expression of this in
Russian so i can better structure the class.

Thank you

Joshua Adetunji
Modern Languages and Cultural Studies
University of Alberta