images

Lily Alexander lily.alexander at UTORONTO.CA
Sun Sep 24 14:41:39 UTC 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I know that this question is being discussed periodically, but nevertheless:

What is the copyright status of images from the Soviet era, from Soviet
films for example?

What is the best way to go about this question if one needs to use such
images in a book?

Perhaps some of you also have the knowledge of images - stills, frames
from contemporary visual culture, both Russian and American in terms of
copyright. I was told that the "film grabs" is the way to go in terms of
publication.

A team of authors - I was part of a few years ago -  participating in an
interactive new media collection found out that using images posted on
the Internet for reproducing on other web sites or on a CD-ROM would be
considered "fair use," but what about a conventional publication?

Many thanks,

Lily Alexander