The introduction of zero to Russia

Michael Trittipo tritt002 at TC.UMN.EDU
Sun Apr 8 04:28:53 UTC 2007

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 20:31:11 -0700
Jules Levin <ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
. . .
> can tell me WHY your message shows up in my
> Eudora with the Cyrillic correct??!!
> This is more or less how Paul's Cyrillic appeared in the original message:
> Лишь буква йота - в обеих славянских
> Virtually everything in Cyrillic is garbled one

Actually, the characters exactly as you "quoted" them from Paul's message above are perfectly good Cyrillic, **when** viewed with the encoding set to Unicode:
Лишь буква йота - в обеих славянских

All I did was copy what you said was "more or less" and then I changed the encoding to Unicode.  Alina's message appeared "correct" to you because she used Windows 1251 for encoding (as her headers confirm: "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=WINDOWS-1251; delsp=yes; format=flowed").  Unicode is generally the best default choice.  And it's handy to use a mail client that can easily switch encodings.

Michael Trittipo
Minneapolis, Minnesota