More on Zero in Russia

Kevin M. F. Platt kmfplatt at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Wed Apr 11 14:31:47 UTC 2007

On the zero issue--my non-subscriber friend, who has written on this
issue, has the below to contribute. Pls. respond to him directly. -
Kevin M. F. Platt, UPenn

> From: "Eugene Ostashevsky" <ostashevsky at hotmail.com>
> Date: April 10, 2007 3:36:55 PM EDT
> To: kmfplatt at sas.upenn.edu
> Subject: RE: Fwd: SEELANGS Digest - 7 Apr 2007 to 8 Apr 2007
> (#2007-30)
>
> Kevin, can you post this or send to Paul Richardson? I am not a
> member and so my posting got rejected. Thanks.
>
> Hi, Paul,
>
> The answer to the question--"how did a pre-Petrine Russian express
> the notion of zero as a number, in writing and in speech?"--is
> supersimple: it didn't. The Greeks had no zero, the Romans had no
> zero, the Russians had no zero as long as they used their variant
> of Greek numeration.
>
> Zero appears as placeholder in Hindu-Arabic numerals; it is first
> TREATED as number in using HA numerals for calculation (6-0=6); it
> is first RECOGNIZED as a number extremely late... the Flemish
> mathematician Simon Stevin at the end of the 16th century announced
> that the ONE is the same numerically as all other numbers, and
> called zero "the root of number." So it's not a number even here.
> Pascal thinks you're dumb if you don't understand that 0-4=0. One
> could do all sorts of incredible things in math before coming up
> with the notion of zero as a number.
>
> Russians used the abacus to calculate--no one ever calculated in
> Slavic numerals because, like Greek and even Roman numerals, they
> are not intended for calculation but for setting down results. If
> your numeration or calculation has no place for zero, you won't
> understand why there should be a numeral that points to absence of
> number.
>
> Zero entered Muscovy in the early or mid seventeenth century when
> introduction of HA numerals allowed for calculating on paper. Zero
> was called tsifra from the Arabic word for empty (sifr) and
> Medieval / Renaissance Latin for zero (cifra), which gave English
> both "zero" and "cipher". In Russian, already in the 17th century
> the word for zero started referring to all HA numerals (tsifry),
> also arithmetic (tsifir') and code (tsifir'). (Same denotative
> spread as in Latin, by the way.) I read in, I think, A. P.
> Iushkevich that in the 17th century the HA zero was also called
> "on" or "onik," like the letter O, which in Slavic numeration
> stands for 70.
>
> Anyway, before the seventeenth century there really is nothing in
> any way like the concept of zero in Russia. And, of course, the
> concept of number at this point includes only natural numbers,
> nothing more.
>
> Eugene Ostashevsky
> NYU

Associate Professor Kevin M. F. Platt
Chair, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
745 Williams Hall
255 S. 36th Street
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6305