Art and emotions [SEC=PERSONAL]

Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Sun Apr 15 23:25:47 UTC 2007

There was the premiere of Stravinsky's ballet The Rite of Spring in
Paris, May 29, 1913.

"...The complex music and violent dance steps depicting fertility
rites first drew catcalls and whistles from the crowd, and there were
loud arguments in the audience between supporters and opponents of
the work. These were soon followed by shouts and fistfights in the
aisles. The unrest in the audience eventually degenerated into a
riot. The Paris police arrived by intermission, but they restored
only limited order. Chaos reigned for the remainder of the
performance, and Stravinsky himself was so upset due to its reception
that he fled the theater in mid-scene, reportedly crying.[1]. Fellow
composer Camille Saint-Saëns famously stormed out of the première,
allegedly infuriated over the misuse of the bassoon in the ballet's
opening bars ...."
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rite_of_Spring

At 9:11 AM +1000 4/16/07, Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>In 1885 a Russian painter I'lya Repin exhibited a painting in Moscow called
>Ivan the Terrible Kills His Son (You can see the painting at the wikipedia
>site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:REPIN_Ivan_Terrible%26Ivan.jpg). The
>painting evoked strong reactions. It was reported that a few viewers fainted,
>shocked by the painting. In 1913 a Russian priest entered the gallery
>attacked it with a knife three times.
>
>I was wondering if people know of similar (strong emotional reactions)to a
>work of art (in particular visual and musical).
>
>Thanks
>
>Subhash

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall 220, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)