Art and emotions [SEC=PERSONAL]

Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[TTI] anthony.j.vanchu at NASA.GOV
Mon Apr 16 12:55:08 UTC 2007

Two other episodes come to mind that haven't been mentioned yet.

One is the audience's reaction at the opening night of "Pobeda nad
solntsem."

The other--though not a public event--is the reports of Tolstoy's strong
reactions to music where he would be moved to tears.  Significant,
perhaps, only because we're speaking of Tolstoy here and we all how
music is treated in his work, especially the later work.

Tony

Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu
Director, JSC Language Education Center
TechTrans International, Inc.
NASA Johnson Space Center
Houston, TX
anthony.j.vanchu at nasa.gov
Phone:  (281) 483-0644
Fax:  (281) 483-4050

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:11 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Art and emotions [SEC=PERSONAL]

Hi all,

In 1885 a Russian painter I'lya Repin exhibited a painting in Moscow
called Ivan the Terrible Kills His Son (You can see the painting at the
wikipedia
site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:REPIN_Ivan_Terrible%26Ivan.jpg). The
painting evoked strong reactions. It was reported that a few viewers
fainted, shocked by the painting. In 1913 a Russian priest entered the
gallery attacked it with a knife three times.

I was wondering if people know of similar (strong emotional reactions)to
a work of art (in particular visual and musical).

Thanks

Subhash