"teatr - kiyater" (cont.)

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Sun Apr 22 07:43:00 UTC 2007

 Dear colleagues & Prof Trubikhina:

I suppose "thuh the-AY-ter" (4 syllables) is better than any other
possibility.  But if Trubikhina prefers not use Braithwaite's excellent
suggestion after all, then she might consider using a phrase like
"Goin' to thuh Show" (5 syllables).

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ _

Date: Sun 22 Apr 02:06:31 CDT 2007
From: <LISTSERV at BAMA.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
To: "Steven P. Hill" <s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU>

Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:38:10 -0400
From: trubikhina at AOL.COM
Subject: Translation query

Hi,
I am translating a review of an early futurist art exhibition for a
publication. One of the dismissive descriptions that the author
is using is "kiyater," which is the "prostonarodnoe" or criminal
slang word for "teatr" (theater). It is used ironically obviously,
and such use of "kiyater" can also be encountered in satirical
pieces by Teffi or in the actual or stylized speech of Gilyarovsky's
criminal characters. What would be a distorted English word that
an uneducated person of that time (late 19th-early 20th century)
might have used?

Thank you,
Julia Trubikhina
Assistant Professor of Russian