glottal stops

Loren A. Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Sun Apr 22 19:03:04 UTC 2007

I would like to quibble with a thing or two that Charles Mill wrote:

> Dear Paul,
>
> This is in reply to your query about glottal stops.  (For some reasons
> my posts to SEELANGS get bounced back.)  You say "A glo'al stop
> alone is pure silence, so it cannot be a syllable."  Then ask "Do you
> mean that the syllable /ends/ with a glo'al stop?  Or /begins/ with one?"
>
> Someone else may say this, and I'm not sure if it's germaine to you
> post, but a glottal stop isn't silent.

Any unvoiced stop is technically silent. However, it is phonologically
significant, as Mills continues below, in that it interrupts a stream of sounds
(i.e., nonsilent) material.

> Like any other phonetic segment, it has a physiological gesture and
> duration, and like all stops, it makes a sound.  If your pronunciation is
> like mine, think of the unguarded American pronunciation of the word
> "button".  /t/ and /n/ are both made at the same point of articulation
> (the alveolar ridge), but /t/ is a stop, while /n/ is a continant.

At least in one theoretical framework, /n/ is not a continuant. In that
framework it is still a stop, but not a plosive. The requirement for a sound to
be [+continuant] is continuous flow of air over the tongue within the oral
cavity. Both [n] and [t] are [-continuant] because there is complete blockage
of the air over the top of the tongue.

--

Loren A. Billings, Ph.D.
Associate professor of linguistics