Informal poll

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Tue Apr 24 19:52:34 UTC 2007

Dear Paul,
Thanks for that reference to the 1994 volume on bird names.  Looks like
the authors are lumpers, not splitters, as they speak of 8,500 species
of birds, while David Sibley (don't have his volume at hand) lists over
9,000.

I note that of the 5 species of Buteo termed buzzards in the volume you
cite, none occur in North America (the ones listed in the _Sibley Guide
to Birds_ [2000] for North America, and termed "hawks," are B.
albonotatus, B. lineatus, B. platypterus, B. Brachyurus, B. swainsoni, B
albicaudatus, B. regalis, B. lagopus, and of course B. jamaicensis,
which displays much regional variation).  From the information you
quote, Russian birders visiting North America would call these either
sarych or kaniuk.

There also appears to be a contradiction between the Flint et al guide
which terms Butastur indicus "iastrebnyi sarych," and the list you cite,
which terms B. indicus "kaniuk iastrebnyi."  But of course they are both
B. indicus to the taxonomists.

Bird names - even the the Latin taxonomic terms - are remarkably
variable over time and space.  When I started birding in Vermont fifty
years ago, there was something called the Myrtle Warbler.  Then it
bacame Audubon's warbler.  Now (in California), the same species is
called Yellow-Rumped Warbler.  Local birders call it Yellow Butt.

Regards to the list,

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere