Informal poll

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Apr 24 23:10:16 UTC 2007

Hi Kris!
True. And a hawk doesn't have teeth. Perhaps I know more than I thought!
Will

Kristi Groberg wrote:
> At 03:55 24.04.2007, you wrote:
>> Now that we are allowed to consult dictionaries, I note that Dal'
>> gives sarych s.v. saryga: khishchnaia ptitsa kaniuk, korshun, Buteo;
>> Vasmer discusses its Turkic origin, and my rarely consulted H.I.
>> Jorgensen, Nomina avium europaearum (Copenhagen, 1958) gives sarych
>> for Buteo buteo and malyi sarych (also ryzhii sarych) for Buteo
>> vulpinus, and sarych stepnoi, kurgannik for Buteo rufinus. Personally
>> I don't know a hawk from a handsaw.
>> Will Ryan
>
> Will, Hi!
>
> The handsaw doesn't have wings.
>
> Kris Groberg

Emeritus Professor W. F. Ryan FBA, FSA
Warburg Institute
(School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square
LONDON WC1H 0AB

All postal, fax and telephone messages to:
120 Ridge Langley, South Croydon, Surrey, CR2 0AS
telephone and fax: 020 8405 6610
from outside UK +44 20 8405 6610