Informal poll (birds)

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Thu Apr 26 04:53:34 UTC 2007

Well, there you go.  I saw my first vulture ("buzzard") in Hinckley,
Ohio in the summer of 1961.  This was a big deal for a young birder
freshly arrived from Vermont.  If you contact the Biology Dept. at
Denison University in Granville, Ohio, you can probably obtain
information about the "buzzard" festival.

I thank all Slavist colleagues out there who have contributed to this
birding thread.  It's nice to know some Slavists are also birders.  When
I was an undergrad biology major at Denison I started studying Russian
so I could go birding in Russia (particularly Siberia).  Then I got
sidetracked and became a Slavist, and never did much birding in Russia,
and never went east of the Urals.  I discovered that Russians knew
everything about mushrooms (or claimed they knew everything about
mushrooms), and practically nothing about birds.

Cheers,
Daniel Rancour-Laferriere