birds vs. plants

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Apr 27 00:08:01 UTC 2007

Maybe there is a philosophical twist: Russians know mushrooms, plants
and wild flowers, but rarely birds and vice versa. An (adult) student
of mine recently complained that when his Russian counterparts arrive
in the US and he has to take them to the botanical garden, they know
all the names, but "for us (he said) it's — tree, bush, plant".

On Apr 26, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Meredig, John wrote:

> As a follow-up to Prof. Rancour-Laferriere's last post, I have a
> little story to share. Since amateur birding is essentially unknown
> in Russia (and given that in the Soviet era wandering around remote
> natural areas with a pair of binoculars might not be such a great
> idea for anyone, let alone a foreigner), I often got rather
> perplexed and suspicious looks from Russians while birding, for
> example, in Izmailovsky Park in Moscow. My favorite, though, was in
> the woods near a friend's dacha outside of Moscow. As I passed a
> couple muzhiks on a little footpath with my binoculars
> conspicuously dangling from my neck, I overheard the one comment to
> the other in an utterly dismissive tone: "Ха! Грибов биноклем ищет!"

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington DC. 20016