How much was a rouble worth in 1880?

Alina Makin resco at UMICH.EDU
Mon Aug 6 17:34:27 UTC 2007

It depends on what kind of ruble you mean here.  If the inheritance was
calculated in paper rubles, we could estimate it as follows:

In 1880 the paper ruble fell again - it was worth 0.648 gold rubles in January
1880, compared to 0.76 gold rubles in January 1875.
(http://som.yale.edu/~drey/rusbonds/rus_ms.htm).  By the end of the 18th
century and through 1885, the gold ruble was set to almost exactly equal to
1.2 grams of pure gold. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ruble).  Thus, in
terms of gold content, the paper ruble in 1880 “contained” 64.8% of gold,
which equals 0.78 grams of pure, 24 karat gold.  According to the precious
metal calculator (http://dendritics.com/scales/metal-calc.asp), in today’s US
$$ that amount of gold would be worth $16.84.  Thus, if we multiply 3500
paper rubles that Ivan Ilyich’s wife got after his death by that amount, today
it would be worth $58,940 – a decent, but not very large inheritance in
today’s economy.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Alina Makin