bulling and teasing in Russian

Mon Aug 20 17:12:43 UTC 2007

Deborah Hoffman wrote:

> I'm curious - does anyone else remember learning truly obscene little
> chants? Not Miss Suzy had a steamboat, more transgressive/vulgar? In
> English or in Russian.

At a certain stage in adolescence, I think all boys learn obscene little
ditties and limericks ("There once was a man from Nantucket..."), but
these aren't the sort of things you chant in public, at least in my
experience, because they'll get your mouth washed out with soap (or the
modern equivalent).

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_once_was_a_man_from_Nantucket>

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.