Havel/Kundera Debate

David Powelstock pstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Tue Aug 21 22:22:49 UTC 2007

Thank you, Martin. Yes, of course it wasn't published in Prague! I didn't
even think about it. I really meant that it was published *in Czech*. I
appreciate the note about falsified place of publication. An interesting
tidbit. And the original source of Havel's response is very helpful, indeed!
Best,
David

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Martin Votruba
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:10 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Havel/Kundera Debate

> Or of Havel's polemic with Kundera, published in his essay
> collection, O lidskou identitu, first published in the ?SR in 1984

I don't know of a translation, but let me just clarify in case it
helps to find one that except in retyped ("samizdat") copies, nothing
by Havel was actually published in Czechoslovakia 1970-1989.

The 1984 edition was published/printed in London, no matter that it
says "Prague" in the book.  That was a more-or-less symbolic gesture
on the remote chance that anyone was taking it to communist
Czechoslovakia and the customs officer checking the person's luggage
could be fooled by that.

Havel's response to Kundera, "Cesky udel," was first published in the
literary magazine _Tvar_ in 1969 (and then included in the collection
in 1984).

Martin

votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu