Chernyshevsky, the late, lamented (or unlamented) writer

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Fri Aug 24 01:23:44 UTC 2007

Dear colleagues:

We all know that Nikolai Gavrilovich Chernyshevskii at one time was elevated to the pantheon of celebrated
19th-century writers who were much praised, much published, and much taught -- in Stalinist schools. Times changed, and Chernyshevsky was consigned to
near-oblivion.  (Po delom?)

But in connection with N. G. Chernyshevskii I am wondering whether my memory is deceiving me, about film adaptations (ekranizatsii).  I always had the impression that the Soviets at one time or another had made a film adaptation of NGCh's famous book, "What is to Be Done?"
(Chto delat'?).  But now, when I want to check that impression, in some older Soviet reference books, I can NOT find an indication that the Soviets ever made a film adaptation of "Chto delat'," even in Stalin's time...

DID THEY?  Or did they not?  Do ex-Soviet expatriates recall from their youth ever seeing a Russian film version of "What is to be Done"?

With gratitude (and with rusty memory),
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.