chernyshevsky/lerner-- an additional comment

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Fri Aug 24 11:02:38 UTC 2007

Dear Professor Hill,

In order to avoid any confusion, I would like to specify that my
reference (in the previous message on Chernyshevsky) to the play on
Chernyshevsky (1929) was related to Nikolai Nikolaevich Lerner (not
NIKOLAI OSIPOVICH, the Pushkin schoar!), a writer and an author of
several plays on Russian history, Pushkin and Decembrists.His play
POET I TSAR was turned into a film in 1927 (discussed in Stephanie
Sandler's book on the Pushkin myth).
The list of his plays and books (as featured in the Dictionary of
Literary History) includes: Nikolai 1 (1922); Favoritka Petra (1924);
Pushkin i Nikolai (1927); Nikolai Chernyshevsky (1929) and "V sele
Mikhailovskom. Utaennaia liubov'" (1929).

All best,
Alexandra

Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Lecturer in Russian
School of European Languages and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EX8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131- 650-3604
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.