HA: [SEELANGS] 'The Captain's Daughter' in English + Russkie Skazki

Olga Bukhina obukhina at ACLS.ORG
Sun Aug 26 18:08:27 UTC 2007

Dear Robert,

One of my favorite is Sergey Kozlov "Yezhik v tumane" (Сергей Козлов, Ежик в тумане). You may look at the full Russian text at http://books.rusf.ru/unzip/add-on/xussr_gk/kozlos01.htm. It is more famous for the Yurii Norstein's animated movie (мультфильм) but the text is excellent.

Liudmila Ulitskaja "Detstvo sorok devjat'" (Детство сорок девять).

Viktor Krotov "Chervjachok Ignatij" (Виктор Кротов <Червячок Игнатий и его друзья>, <Червячок Игнатий и его открытия> и <Червячок Игнатий и его мечты>).

Aleksej Panteleev "Fen'ka" (Алексей Пантелев "Фенька").

Out of pre-1917 ones: Anton Pogorel'skij "Chernaja kuritsa," Vladimir Odoevskij "Gorodok v tabakerke".

Best,

Olga Bukhina
ACLS
obukhina at acls.org

________________________________

От: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list от имени Robert Chandler
Отправлено: Пт, 24.08.2007 12:43
Кому: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Тема: [SEELANGS] 'The Captain's Daughter' in English + Russkie Skazki

Dear all,

First: OEThe Captain?s Daughter? got badly delayed by the printers, but
copies have at last reached me.  They should be on sale in the USA by the
end of September.  MANY THANKS to everyone on this list who helped me with
my numerous questions!

Second: I am editing, and largely translating, a collection of RUSSIAN
MAGICAL TALES that will be published by Penguin Classics as a companion
volume to my short story anthology.  I shall be including both narodnye
skazki and avtorskie skazki.  Probably about 3/4 of the book will be made up
by stories from Afanasyev, the adaptations of these that Andrey Platonov
published in the late 1940s, and stories by Pavel Bazhov.  And there will be
some Pushkin.  And probably some of Aleksey Tolstoy?s versions of skazki.

I?ve read some of Petrushevskaya?s skazki but am not especially impressed by
anything I have read yet.  I may include one or two stories from a volume
called OETelefonnye skazki? by Marina Boroditskaya.  And I shall certainly
include a story by Yuri Buida, already published in English as OEPorcelain
Feet?.

I?ll be very grateful for any suggestions as to what else I should include:
lesser known stories from Afanasyev or other folk tale collections, works by
Silver Age writers, Soviet writers, contemporary writers... I am more
interested in avtorskie skazki that have at least some relationship, however
oblique, to traditional skazki - but will probably jettison this principle
if I come across anything outstanding.

It often seems to be most helpful if people recommend works they genuinely
love!

Best Wishes,

Robert