language teaching authoring software

Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[TTI] anthony.j.vanchu at NASA.GOV
Wed Aug 29 12:45:05 UTC 2007

Since we have to try and do as much as we can here without spending
anything extra on new software, I used Powerpoint a while back to create
flashcards with space-related vocabulary items.  They have a picture
plus embedded audio and I was able to use a font that had the stress
marked on it.

I know that's not particularly sophisticated, but it is free, you can
run it from your own server (we do here) and, it does get the desired
results.

Tony

Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu
Director, JSC Language Education Center
TechTrans International, Inc.
NASA Johnson Space Center
Houston, TX
anthony.j.vanchu at nasa.gov
Phone:  (281) 483-0644
Fax:  (281) 483-4050

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of David J. Birnbaum
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:17 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] language teaching authoring software

Dear SEELANGers,

Can anyone recommend authoring tools for developing flashcard,
"concentration," or other types of on-line language-learning drills? I
am familiar with the http://www.quia.com site, which supports the types
of activities I am contemplating (and which already has a number of
Russian-language drills), but I would prefer a solution 1) that is free
and
2) that I can run from my own server.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sincerely,