Money in Nos

Kristi Groberg Kristi.Groberg at NDSU.EDU
Wed Aug 29 16:46:56 UTC 2007

At 10:49 29.08.2007, you wrote:
>Can anyone help provide me with a rough idea of the values of the
>"krasnaia assignatsia" and "siniaia assignatsia" mentioned in Gogol's
>"Nos"?
>
>Numerical values would be fine, but more importantly, were these paltry,
>medium, or significant sums of money in their day?

Hi, Tony:

Here's what I know about assignats:  They were a type of Russian
paper money printed before 1840.  After that it was very difficult to
convert them to the Gold Standard (they could not be easured against
the Pound Sterling either).  So wealthy people kept them in their
safes and bank safety-deposit boxes after 1840 and used them almost
as we would a savings bond or used them for donation funds just to
get rid of them.  It's my understanding that aristocrats probably
used them as a way to "launder" money.  One could also donate them
to, say, an Imperial building project and then claim to have donated
a sum that was no longer viable.

I'd like to know more, so anyone else who answers, please post to the list.

Kris Groberg