ACTR and their program in Moscow

Alla Polyakova alla.polyakova at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 2 18:34:53 UTC 2007

Dear Dustin,

I wanted to address the issue of auditing classes and visa extensions. I was
on a year long program with ACTR in 2006-2007 (meaning RECENT) in St.
Petersburg. I audited a class for an entire semester and I must tell you,
all the complaints come from students who unfortunately still don't
understand the Russian education system and the country itself. Things are
done very differently in Russia. Even the Russian students don't know the
class schedule until AFTER the classes have started. It is considered very
normal not to come to the first 2 classes of the semester because the
department has not made the class schedule public yet. Even when a schedule
is known, some departments will not let anyone "audit" a class since it is
not widely practiced in the country and if it is not directly required by an
ACTR program it is not a responsibility of the RD or ACTR to do the leg work
for the student if they want to audit a class. That is a choice that you
have and some programs actually discourage you from auditing classes, since
they're Russian is not on th level that it is supposed to be and you would
just be taking away from the rigirous language study that ACTR does provide
for you. (I passed the level 4 Russian Language exam and it was still a
challenge for me to audit a class in politics) My program required it, so
our wonderful RD over the years that he has spent in St. Petersburg
thankfully made friends with other department heads who welcomed American
students sometimes with not such open arms. I just want to make clear, my
program required auditing of classes therefore we were able to do it;
however, it was still our responsibility to find out where the class was
taking place and if there were any changes and since you are new to Russia,
let me introduce you to a very cultural difference....there are always
schedule changes, people don't show up or they're not willing to do anything
to help you.  This is where ACTR has done a wonderful job to at least make
the Russian university experience a bit more American, but nothing in Russia
will be given to you on a silver platter....you have to do it yourself,
there is part of the experience that ACTR tries to teach you. They will not
fight your battles for you because that is physically impossible in that
country.

The same argument goes for visa extensions. ACTR has a great staff who work
very hard to get everyone the visas that they need. I know of many of them
who stay at work past 8 or 9pm to get all the paper work done. If you ever
needed to get a visa yourself, you would understand how difficult it is to
do in an ever changing bureaucratic turmoil that is Russia.

My point is, Russia is not America and ACTR's job is to introduce you to
Russia and not make Russia like America.

Good luck in learning about Russia.
Alla Polyakova