Complications of collaborative translation

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Mon Dec 3 18:43:41 UTC 2007

Dear all,

My apologies for this posting - I clearly failed to be precise enough with
the publicist at NYRB Classics.

The idea of collaboration and, above all, that of multiple collaboration
over a translation still seems to be so unusual that people do not take it
seriously and end up forgetting about it.  It is complicated still further
by the fact that different people have collaborated with varying degrees of
involvement on different stories in this volume.

The credit for 'Soul', the main work in this collection, reads 'Translated
by Robert and Elizabeth Chandler and Olga Meerson, with Jane Chamberlain,
Olga Kouznetsova and Eric Naiman.'  The title page for the book as a whole
reads  'Translated by Robert and Elizabeth Chandler with Katia Grigoruk,
Olga Meerson and Eric Naiman.'

Sorry to be so complicated - and THANKS once again to the huge number of
other SEELANGERS who have enriched my understanding of Platonov and
contributed to these translations!

Robert