Smile of the day

Mon Dec 3 20:49:32 UTC 2007

 From today's "Metropolitan Diary" in /The New York Times/:

Dear Diary:
    A very nice ice cream store opened recently at 83rd Street on my
East Side block. When I went in for the first time, I was greeted by a
fabulous-looking blond saleswoman in her early 20s.
    She asked me where I was from and, learning that I am originally
from St. Petersburg, immediately asked, "Do you think that a recent
translation of Tolstoy's 'War and Peace' by Pevear and Volokhonsky is
really superior to all others?"
    Slightly stunned (after all, I only came for some ice cream), I
suggested that another translation, that of Andrew Bromfield, was also
quite good and that, in general, only translations with the first
sentence starting in French, as in Tolstoy's original, should be
considered. The young lady appeared to be satisfied with my answer and
dispensed the ice cream.
    A couple of days later I was back at the store, greeted again by a
fabulous woman of 20 or so, but this time a brunette. Having established
my national origin, she asked, "What is your favorite translation of
Dostoyevsky's 'Brothers Karamazov'?"
    Since I did not know the answer, she asked an easier question, "What
is your favorite Russian novel?" I answered that it was Bulgakov's
"Master and Margarita." The answer appeared satisfactory to her, and the
ice cream was dispensed.
    As it turned out, the two saleswomen were taking the same Russian
literature course at Columbia.
    I haven't been to the store for about two weeks now and am dying for
some ice cream, but I can't go back -- not until I complete a
comparative translation analysis of Pasternak's "Doctor Zhivago."
					-- Leonid Poretsky

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com