Chicago or NY?

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at TEMPLE.EDU
Tue Dec 4 14:37:59 UTC 2007

The New York Review of Books has a booth at the MLA Conference in Chicago.

On 12/4/07 9:35 AM, "Prof Steven P Hill" <s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU> wrote:

> Dear colleagues, Ms Moorad, Dr Chandler:
>
> My heavens, when did the enormous MLA manage to move its entire
> huge conference from Chicago to New York City this December?
>
> Or is the MLA conducting 2 gargantuan conferences simultaneously?
>
> Best wishes for the holiday season,
> Steven P Hill,
> University of Illinois.
>
> Date: Tue 4 Dec 07:26:36 CST 2007
> From: <LISTSERV at BAMA.UA.EDU>
> Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
> To: "Steven P. Hill" <s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU>
>
> Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 11:55:58 -0600
> From: Jacquelyn Moorad <jmoorad at NYBOOKS.COM>
> Subject: Award-Winning Robert Chandler to Sign Copies at MLA
>
> NYRB CLASSICS is pleased to announce a book signing by award-winning Slavic
> translator Robert Chandler:
>
> Robert Chandler will sign copies of his translations of Andrey Platonov's
> Soul and Other Stories and Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate at the New York
> Review Books booth at the 2007 Modern Language Association's annual meeting.
>
> Saturday, December 29th, 4:30 - 5:30 PM.
> Booth 814, MLA Exhibit Hall,  Hyatt Regency
>
> Soul and Other Stories
> Andrey Platonov
> Translated and introduced by Robert Chandler
> Afterword by John Berger
> The Russian Andrey Platonov is increasingly recognized as one of the
> greatest of twentieth-century writers of fiction, and Soul offers a
> selection of his finest stories. On Robert Chandler's translation, The
> Observer wrote, "Rarely does literature come this close to being music."
>
> Life and Fate
> Vasily Grossman
> Introduction by Robert Chandler
> ³Grossman¹s account of Soviet life ­ penal, military and civilian ­ is
> encyclopedic and unblinkered...enormously impressive...A significant
> addition to the great library of smuggled Russian works.²‹The New York Times
> Book Review
>
> Please visit http://www.nybooks.com/nyrb/authors/11616 for more information
> on Robert Chandler and NYRB Classics.

Benjamin Rifkin
Vice Dean for Undergraduate Affairs and Professor of Russian
College of Liberal Arts, Temple University
1206 Anderson Hall, 1114 W. Berks St.
Philadelphia, PA 19122 USA
Voice: (215) 204-1816; Fax: (215) 204-3731
http://www.temple.edu/fgis/rifkin