qualifying to teach Russ., etc., in US

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Sat Dec 8 18:47:42 UTC 2007

Continuing the discussion:
There is one well-known person who is a professor
precisely of Russian language (not literature, not
linguistics), and that is Frank Miller of Columbia
University.
The website of the AATSEEL (American Association of
Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages) has
an interview with him about his career:

http://www.aatseel.org/frank_miller

In general I would advise Mrs. Pashkovska to look at
the organization's site: http://www.aatseel.org/
and if possible read its newsletter and its quarterly
journal Slavic and East European Journal (SEEJ);
also to look at the job listings at
http://members.aatseel.org/jobs/job-index.asp

If one joins AATSEEL, one can attend its meetings
and hear presentations of papers on literature, on
linguistics, and on language pedagogy. See
http://www.aatseel.org/program for information
about its meeting in Chicago December 28-30.

Another organization that one should know about
is ACTR (American Council of Teachers of Russian),
which is one part of the American Councils
for International Education; see
http://www.americancouncils.org/index.php

More specifically about ACTR: look at
http://www.americancouncils.org/actrMembership.php

ACTR publishes a newsletter with many discussions
of methodology of teaching. You can download it
from this same site:
http://www.americancouncils.org/actrMembership.php

ACTR has also recently taken over an older journal,
Russian Language Journal.

Yours,
--
Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu