American English Official Grammar Reference Book?

Sat Dec 8 23:57:22 UTC 2007

Andrey Shcherbenok wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> A friend of mine, who is a director of a translation firm in St. Petersburg,
> is looking for an official grammar reference book of American English. The
> reference book should be a) comprehensive (as far as grammar is concerned)
> b) AS OFFICIAL AS POSSIBLE (words like "government" in the title, etc.)

No such thing. This is not France, there is no Académie Américaine.

The most widely accepted grammar references are the "Chicago Manual of
Style" <http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/> and Strunk & White's "The
Elements of Style" <http://www.bartleby.com/141/>, usually cited by the
authors' names. Of these, the former is more contemporary and the latter
is more antiquated (I would say obsolescent). Neither is comprehensive,
and neither is official, but this is as close as you will get for our
language.

For a particular publication, of course, refer to that publication's own
style guidelines.

> It can be in any format, but on-line accessible is, of course, preferable.
>
> If you have something in mind, please, reply off-list.

Copying my reply to your personal address.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com