American English Official Grammar Reference Book?

Mike Trittipo tritt002 at TC.UMN.EDU
Sun Dec 9 06:14:31 UTC 2007

"Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM> wrote:
(after quoting Andrey Shcherbenok's message regarding someone's search
for "an official grammar reference book of American English," specifically
one
to "be . . . AS OFFICIAL AS POSSIBLE (words like "government" in the title,
etc.)

> No such thing. This is not France, there is no Académie Américaine.
>
> The most widely accepted grammar references are the "Chicago Manual of
> Style" <http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/> and Strunk & White's "The
> Elements of Style" <http://www.bartleby.com/141/> . . ..

I strongly approve of the Chicago Manual (far superior to the AP style) and
of Strunk & White (although I probably show my age by somewhat bristling at
the suggestion that it's antiquated).  But I regard them both as style
books, not grammar references.  As for grammar texts, Paul's certainly right
about there being no such thing as an "official" grammar of English (whether
East Pondian or West).  But I would suggest that The Columbia Guide to
Standard American English might meet an authority-lover's desires.  Columbia
is as prestigious as any U.S university, and the guide has a more
prescriptive bent than some, so it probably fits the desires of someone who
_wants_ prescription, as it seems the original questioner does.

Of course, as for actual grammars, Quirk's Comprehensive Grammar of the
English Language (1978) and The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language by
Huddleston and Pullum have the most solid scholarly reputations.  Mind, they
cost a bit more than any of the others mentioned.

Michael Trittipo
Minneapolis, MN