Language classification

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Tue Dec 11 17:28:02 UTC 2007

>Relative "difficulty" of languages for English speakers in terms of time
>needed to learn them is given in
>http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/november/learningExpectations.html
>- based on information from the Foreign Service Institute of the US
>Department of State.

Thanks, Jenny.

I do want to point out, for those still following this thread, that
the particular scale above is not nearly as discriminating. It
creates only three categories, lumping a bunch of languages,
including Russian, under a very broad category II.
The other scale, also developed by the government and used at
Monterey, is more what I was looking for: that scale has four
categories, and separates the middle category into 2 and 3 - Russian
is in the latter.

By way of an explanation: I am putting together the Russian
department's report on "writing accross the curriculum." As
coordinator of both German and Russian, I want to be sure to stress
the documented distance (the more distant the better) between either
of those and the more traditional, level 1 French and Spanish, needed
for acquiring comparable proficiency levels. Otherwise the "default"
criteria for judging writing proficiency gets determined by what
students accomplish ... in Spanish. It is a lot easier to require
serious and substantive college level papers and Honors theses be
written in Spanish than in Russian.
For those who wish to look it up, this particular conversation was
already held on SEELangs, back in 2005; try the subjects "language
categories" and "undergraduate honors"

And again, thanks for the rapid and detailed responses,
-FR

--

Francoise Rosset
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies