American English Official Grammar Reference Book

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Tue Dec 11 21:10:29 UTC 2007

That's so interesting. The British usage of "different to" had been seared into my brain as "proper" by many tedious high school English discussions of Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca with its leitmotif "She's so different to Rebecca" spoken by representatives of the upper classes. Now I'm wondering if the author intended us to glean that those speakers were in fact speaking sub-standardly, or whether this usage has changed since the 1930s.