Originally Slavic or Borrowing from Germanic?

Jussi Halla-aho jussi at HALLA-AHO.COM
Thu Dec 13 06:33:05 UTC 2007

Well, the LACK of polnoglasie/liquid metathesis of
course indicates that a word might be a borrowing, but
only if the word is borrowed AFTER the said changes
had taken place in late Proto-Slavic.

Earlier borrowings, Germanic or otherwise, participate
in the elimination of liquid diphthongs just like
native items do.

Is it possible that you have Grimm's law in mind? In
Germanic borrowings we have k, p, t instead of
expected g (or z), p, t. The word for 'milk' is one
example. On the basis of its Indo-European cognates,
the Slavic word should be *molozo/*mlezo etc. In
Germanic, the proto-sound *g' yielded k by Grimm's
law, and therefore Slavic moloko/mleko etc. is by many
(including myself) seen as a borrowing.

Hope this helped.

Jussi Halla-aho