U of Illinois MA Program in REEES

Lynda Park lypark at UIUC.EDU
Thu Dec 13 18:12:16 UTC 2007

Master of Arts in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies

The Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center (REEEC) at the University
of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, invites applications for its Master of Arts
program in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies for fall 2008. Our
two-year program is designed for students preparing for further academic
study in a particular discipline as well as for students who are preparing
for careers in government, business, the media, international law, private
foundations, or cultural exchange programs. The program provides broad
exposure to the history, cultures, societies, and politics of the region as
well as to the variety of disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches to
its study. For individuals planning non-academic careers, such study is
essential in preparing to respond to the growing opportunities and
challenges presented by this region. For students planning academic
careers, the program provides wide and multifaceted knowledge of the region
and valuable experience in interdisciplinary study and interpretation.

Our students benefit from a varied program of lectures, conferences, and
seminars with national and international experts. The University Library
boasts one of the largest Slavic and East European collections in the
country. Our outstanding faculty cover more than twenty fields from
anthropology and art history to urban and regional planning, enabling
students to craft an individualized degree program.

Applicants who are U.S. citizens and permanent residents are competitive
for U.S. Department of Education Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS)
fellowships not only in REEEC, but also in the EU Center, the Center for
Global Studies, and the Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies.
Information about the FLAS application process may be found at
<http://www.reec.uiuc.edu/resources/FLAS2008.html>http://www.reec.uiuc.edu/resources/FLAS2008.html
Other assistantships may also be available.

Please share this information with students who might be interested in our
MA program. Students can visit our web site to learn more about the program
and the application requirements.

Application deadline: 5 January for international applications; 1 February
for domestic applications.

Application to graduate study at Illinois is available on-line at:
http://www.grad.uiuc.edu/admissions/apply/.

Lynda Y. Park, Associate Director
Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center
University of Illinois
104 International Studies Building, MC-487
910 South Fifth Street
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 333-6022, 333-1244; fax (217) 333-1582
lypark at uiuc.edu
http://www.reec.uiuc.edu