Univ of Rochester translation press

John Givens givn at MAIL.ROCHESTER.EDU
Sat Dec 15 03:00:25 UTC 2007

Dear Seelangs list:

I'm posting an announcement from Chad Post of Open Letter, the new translation
press at the University of Rochester. Chad is soliciting reviews from qualified
reviewers of both translated and untranslated fiction in Russian and other East
European literatures for the press's online resource page, Three Percent.

Please contact Chad for further information. His contact information follows the
announcement below.

Three Percent is the "online presence" of Open Letter, the new
translation press here at UR. The first Open Letter title comes out in
the fall of 2008. In the meantime, to cultivate a readership and create
a vibrant place for discussing international literature, we launched
Three Percent (http://www.rochester.edu/threepercent), an online
resource for readers of international literature consisting of two key
components--a weblog about international lit, and a reviews section that
posts reviews of both translated (see:
http://www.rochester.edu/College/translation/threepercent/index.php?id=5
19) and untranslated fiction (see:
http://www.rochester.edu/College/translation/threepercent/index.php?id=5
92). The purpose of these reviews is to provide English-readers
(including a lot of editors, publishers, reviewers, and translators who
read the site) with information about contemporary literature that isn't
getting much attention here in the States. For publishers, this is
developing into a very valuable resource, and with a critical mass of
reviews, could be one of the main places publishers look to find out
about what's being written in other countries.

To that end, we're seeking qualified reviewers to help us expand this
section of the website. Specifically, we would really like to increase
the number of titles we're reviewing from Russian and East European
authors. The reviews we run are relatively short (between 500-1000 words
on average), and are geared towards a general, educated audience. The
main point is to provide some information about the book, why it's
important, what makes it unique, etc. Unfortunatley, we can't pay for
these reviews, although we can get reviewers free copies of the books
they're interested in reviewing. A number of translators have expressed
an interest in reviewing for the site, since a review on Three Percent
increases the possibility of finding a publisher willing to take on the
book. And with over 20,000 visits a month, we're developing into a
well-trafficked site with some reach . . .

If you know of anyone who would be interested in reviewing for us,
please feel free to give them my contact information. We're both take
suggestions of what we should review and can assign books as well-it
really depends on the situation and the reviewer.

Chad W. Post

Open Letter

University of Rochester

Lattimore 411