Ruthenians, Lemko, Hutsuls, Boyki, Carpath.-Russ., etc.

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at ILOS.UIO.NO
Mon Dec 17 15:28:12 UTC 2007

Prof Steven P Hill wrote:
> Dear colleagues:
>
> Interesting and informative discussion this week about minority ethnic-
> religious-linguistic groups bordering on Ukrainian-Russian-Slovak-
> Polish-Hungarian, etc., areas.  Probably not much more to add to that
> learned exchange.
>
> But perhaps someone out there could comment on a Norwegian-
> British male dancer and choreographer named TUTTE LEMKOW
> (1918-1991)?
>
> Should we assume that Tutte's surname has no connection with the
> East-Central European minorities, but instead may owe its origin to
> some Norwegian onomastic process?  Or is it conceivable that Mr
> Lemkow's ancestors in a century long ago migrated to Scandinavia
> from E.-Cen. Europe?

According to his 1989 autobiography _På tå hev_ ('On tiptoe'), the
family is Jewish, and his grandfather was born in a village near St.
Petersburg. His father immigrated to Norway, and the family name was
then changed from "Lenkoff" to Lemkow (no reason for the dissimilation
of the nasal is given). His real name was Isak Samuel Lemkow.

--
---
Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo, PO Box 1003 Blindern, N-0315 Oslo, Norway