An interesting Russian film to show to student audience

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Thu Dec 20 13:17:24 UTC 2007

>Hi all!
>One of the most poetic films I have ever seen:
>Vozvrashchenie by Andrei Zvyagintsev
>Also wonderful:
>Ostrov by Petr Mamonov
>
>Regards,
>Alexandra

Again, both of these of are beautiful films. However, I would not recommend
either as a film for students.

With Ostrov, I guarantee that even advanced students will be frustrated in
trying to understand the biblical speech used in the film. It would be a bit
like asking a student of English to watch Hamlet for exposure to the English
language. Culturally, it might be a good experience, but linguistically it's
likely to be a lesson in futility and not altogether helpful unless the
student is extremely advanced and interested specifically in linguistics.

Vozvrashchenie is also a very good film, but very dark and heavy. The
director, in interviews, stated specifically that his film was not meant to
uplift or instruct, but to simply show the dark and unusual events - leaving
the viewer to make his/her own opinions (or not make any opinions).
Americans have been raised to believe that there should be a clear plot,
with reasoning for character's actions fairly clearly spelled out. In other
words, if you looking to give your students a glimpse into the Russian soul,
this might be a good film to show, but you will need to explain that soul
and how it came to be expressed through Russian drama via historical
influences. Russian drama is, in many ways, more similar to Japanese Noh
drama than to America's version of dramatic realism. Noh drama need not have
a definite plot or moral, but instead concentrates on creating mood through
character interactions. When I showed examples of this drama to Theatre 101
students back in the States, their immediate reaction was almost always:
"What was THAT?!?!" My point with this mild tangent is that if you want a
film that is going to submerge your students into a language they are not
used to being submerged in, you don't necessarily want to alienate them
further by changing not only the language, but also the narrative
expectations the film is based on.

I've not seen Zhivoi, but it strikes me from the blurb on IMDB that that one
would also fit nicely in this same category with Vozvrashchenie - a bit like
introducing students to French cooking with a plate of frogs' legs and
escargot. You'll catch more students with crepes and filet mignon -
precisely because they are closer to what the students already believe to be
"normal."

Just another two cents.

Josh Wilson
Asst. Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor-in-Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
www.sras.org
jwilson at sras.org