Soviet Cartoons

Maria Dmytrieva xmas at UKR.NET
Thu Dec 20 21:24:14 UTC 2007

As a person who was actually raised on Soviet cartoons I can say that whatever cartoon you take you will find it really worth seeing -- they were all made with great passion and talent.
As to Nu Pogodi, I am really surprised that it was called aggressive -- it is really a very nice cartoon with lots and lots of cultural hints for adults, not even mentioning its soundtrack which is absolutely hilarious -- each episode has melodies that were greatest hits at that time.
Wolf was supposed to be voiced by Vladimir Vysotsky but due to political reasons he was substituted by Papanov. but still in the first episode there is a tribute to Vysotsky -- when  Wolf is going up the rope to Hare's balcony while whistling a melody from the movie in which Vysotsky starred and to which created music -- Vysota. this melody is from the well-known song of his -- Если друг оказался вдруг.

if you take cartoons based on folk tales -- they are absolutely hilarious. (like the series about Cossacks. and genreally cartoons by KievNauchFilm -- I adore them, truly. or like Жил-был пёс - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73pjIQTGnic )
Гора самоцветов was already mentioned here but whatever product of the Pilot studio you take you will find them worth watching (http://www.pilot-film.com/).

I would also advise to look at sci-fi cartoons, for instance, Тайна третьей планеты based on one of Kir Bulychev's novelettes about Alisa Selezneva (http://www.world-art.ru/animation/animation.php?id=288). this was my all-time favourite.

as to the present-day Russian cartoons I have very mixed feelings about them. especially about 'Prince Vladimir'. but it is a very long and sad story. so, there are several big recent  projects --

Карлик Нос [2003]
http://www.world-art.ru/animation/animation.php?id=834

Незнайка и Баррабасс [2004]
http://www.world-art.ru/animation/animation.php?id=1295

Алёша Попович и Тугарин-змей [2004]
http://www.world-art.ru/animation/animation.php?id=412

Князь Владимир [2006]
http://www.world-art.ru/animation/animation.php?id=951

http://www.world-art.ru/animation/animation.php?id=3648
Добрыня Никитич и Змей Горыныч [2006]

ps.
a rather big list of Soviet cartoons with useful info can be found here:
http://www.world-art.ru/country.php?id=1&list=animation
and here:
http://mults.spb.ru/mults/

you can find a list of newly produced Russian cartoons here:
http://ruskino.ru/movie/tabloid.php?aid=8175

With best regards,
Maria